2014年8月19日火曜日

【国内ボランティア体験談】 Habitat and Me / ハビタットと私

This summer, we had a wonderful addition to our team here at Habitat for Humanity Japan - Vibha, a high school volunteer from India! She helped us with researches, sending newsletters, preparing documents and more. She was not just your average volunteer, either - Vibha has been a dedicated Habitat supporter for some years now. 

Read how it all started and her big plans for the future!

I got to know about Habitat for Humanity through my mother. When we were living in Manila, Philippines, she was working with Habitat for a research she was doing. I became interested in the work they were doing, so I did what any person my age would do; I went online and did some research. I was enthralled by the work that Habitat was doing around the globe. The vision, to create a world where everyone has a decent place to live, really resonated with me because I know that having a place to call a home can drastically improve a person’s life. So, I asked my mother to talk to her colleagues and get me a volunteering position at Habitat.

I volunteered with Habitat, but not in the traditional way - I worked at the Habitat offices. I am not particularly built for building but I am very handy with Photoshop. So basically, I spent my summer using Photoshop to make brochures, signs and presentations. I felt like I had made some difference and a lot of fun. In fact, so much fun that I went back the next summer! This time I worked at the Habitat offices for a longer time. 

Even though I wasn't seeing the direct impact of what I was doing, I could see how grateful the others in the office were and what I was doing was helping them finish their tasks faster. I knew that it ultimately meant that the people who were in need of Habitat were going to get assistance sooner.

My family moved to Japan in August 2013 but that did not stop me from working with Habitat. This year, I am an office volunteer at Habitat for Humanity Japan. I definitely have a lot more responsibility here because I am working on a research project. I am really enjoying it because not only am I doing something that has the potential to help so many people but also am getting experience working in an office environment. It’s amazing to work with Habitat Japan because while the offices are places where work gets done, the people who work there are very friendly and ready to help one another.

I am very excited because this November, I will be going on my first Global Village trip! I have heard a lot of great things about it and have wanted to go on the trip for a very long time. I promised myself that I would go on one before I graduate high school and it looks like I am!!


この夏ハビタット・ジャパンに、新しい仲間が加わりました。彼女の名前はヴィブハちゃん、高校生ボランティアです!「加わった」といっても、夏休み中だけ、お手伝いに来てくれているのですが、リサーチからニュースレター発送のお手伝いまで大活躍。そしてなんと、高校生という若さにも関らず、ハビタット・ボランティア暦が長い彼女。
そんなヴィブハちゃんのストーリーをお読みください!

ハビタットについて知るきっかけは、私のお母さんでした。マニラに暮らしていたとき、お母さんが大学の研究のために、ハビタットと協力することになったんです。どんなことをやっているか話をきいて、興味があったから、今時の高校生なら誰でもすることをしたんです。”Google”です!オンラインで読んだハビタットについて、「これだ!」と思いました。家が持つ、人生を変える力というのを信じている私は、「誰もがきちんとした場所に暮らせる世界」という理念に凄く感銘をうけたんです。そして、すぐにお母さんに、ハビタットでボランティアしたい、ってお願いしたのが始まりです。
ハビタットのボランティアっていうと、やっぱり建築活動のイメージが強いのかな、と思うけど、私がやったのは、オフィスでのお手伝い。得意なフォトショップを使って、ハビタット・フィリピンのスタッフをアシストしました!サイン、パンフレット、パワーポイント…大好きなフォトショップを使いながら社会貢献するのが凄く楽しくて、次の夏も同じボランティアをしに、ハビタット・フィリピンに戻りました。
オフィスのボランティアは、直接ホームパートナーの人達の顔が見えるわけではありません。だけど、スタッフの人が業務をこなすのをお手伝いすることによって、皆の効率があがって、より早く支援が行き届く、そんな風に私も「誰もがきちんとした場所に暮らせる世界」に貢献できている、そんな風にいつも感じています。
日本に引っ越したのは、2013年。場所は変わったけれど、私のハビタットへの気持ちは変わらず、今回ハビタット・ジャパンでボランティアすることになりました!前のボランティア作業と比べて、ハビタット・ジャパンではちょっと責任のあることを任せてもらっていて、楽しいです。例えば、今やっているリサーチは、もっと沢山の人に家の大切さをしってもらうきっかけ作りに役に立ちそう!それに加えて、オフィスで働く経験をさせてもらえるのも、凄く嬉しいです。スタッフの人たちも、仕事に対してはすごく真剣だけど、人に対してはとってもフレンドリーで、良い勉強になります。
今年の11月は、念願のGlobal Village(海外建築ボランティア)に参加することになりました。ずっと行きたかったので、本当に楽しみにしています!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿